SV: [Aves_Ecuador] Colombian Crake at Buenaventura [Archivos adjuntos 2]

Expandir mensajes
  • Niels Kaare Krabbe
    Mensaje 1 de 12 , 3 ago 2012
    Ver fuente
    • 0 Archivo adjunto
      Hi Bob,

      That record should make you reconsider accepting the origin of the skin collected/found by J. Yépez the 3 Jan 1992 at Alamor, Loja, 1200 m (MECN 6030), a specimen you have sent me to Quito to verify three times, and then also sent Paul Coopmans to verify.

      Best,

      Niels

      ________________________________

      Mensaje 2 de 12 , 3 ago 2012
      Ver fuente
      • 0 Archivo adjunto
        Hi,

        there is a connection with marsh areas (aquatic environments) in Buenaventura. Maybe the best could be take a look in Tahuin  Dam (near Arenillas) connected with Piedras area. The past year with some friends, we got  a Whimbrel (flying and following the course of the river in Sambotambo road).

        The last saturday, I just recorded White-throated Crake in Dianita's Trail.

        Saludos,

        Manuel

        Mensaje 3 de 12 , 4 ago 2012
        Ver fuente
        • 0 Archivo adjunto
          Dear Niels,

          It WAS "accepted." See Birds of Ecuador, Vol. 1, page 203.

          Why must you always be so snippy and negative?

          RSR

          Mensaje 4 de 12 , 4 ago 2012
          Ver fuente
          • 0 Archivo adjunto
            Dear Bob,

            Please accept my apology. I will change my tone. I was just so upset that you sent me again and again to check the same thing and then in the end asked someone else to do the same. It is now out of my system. For some reason I had got the erroneous idea that you had left the record out anyway. Do not think that I do not consider you the greatest authority on Ecuadorian birds and an excellent birder (I know my birding skills suck), and despite my occasional snippy outbursts, I do count you a good friend. You have done a lot for me, we have had great times together and done good things for bird preservation together, and I hope there will be more to come.

            Olaf did record Colombian Crake at Buenaventura. His three recordings are not that good, but as they are the only ones, they will be on the Grande Finale, which should be published next January or February. I should be happy to send his them to anyone who manages to contact him and get his permission, or even post them here, if he reads this and gives a general release.

            Best,

            Niels

            ________________________________

            Mensaje 5 de 12 , 4 ago 2012
            Ver fuente
            • 0 Archivo adjunto
              Dear Niels,

              Thanks. Apology readily accepted. I don't remember sending you to check
              that specimen "three times!"

              I also count you as a friend and colleague, and only wish we saw more of you
              these days. In any case, a very public wish for good fortune on your
              upcoming trip. All of us will be eagerly awaiting news of your results, and
              your safe return. After the board meeting etc., I'll then be in Quito again
              on Aug 29-30; will you?

              As for Olaf, I too would like to be in contact with him, and have tried to
              do so using various routes over the past couple years. Can anyone help?
              Sadly, he seems to have left the world of ornithology, hopefully only a
              temporary gap of interest on his part.

              My best,

              Mensaje 6 de 12 , 4 ago 2012
              Ver fuente
              • 0 Archivo adjunto
                Hi Everybody,

                tomorrow I am off to buenaventura, I hope to record vocalisations of a colombian crake.

                cheers,

                Manuel

                Mensaje 7 de 12 , 5 ago 2012
                Ver fuente
                • 0 Archivo adjunto
                  Dear Bob,

                  Three times indeed (1996, 1998 and 1999 I believe). Anyway, it is out of my system now. And it is hard to believe, that it can coexist with Paint-billed. Your suggestion that migration may be involved sounds plausible.

                  And thanks about the concern. I am worried myself and won't believe it, before I am on the mountain. Unfortunately, I won't be back in Quito before 2 or 3rd September. Do enjoy your time in Yasuní.

                  The reason I haven't been able to come much to Ecuador lately is simply lack of funds.

                  For important issues, Olaf can be written snail mail to

                  Dr. Olaf Jahn
                  Ornithologie
                  Zool. Forschungsmuseum A. Koenig
                  Adenauerallee 160
                  D-53113 Bonn
                  Germany

                  I guess he changed his old e-mail, because he needs peace to work.

                  Best
                  Niels

                  ________________________________

                  Mensaje 8 de 12 , 5 ago 2012
                  Ver fuente
                  • 0 Archivo adjunto

                    Suerte, Manuel.

                    RSR

                    Mensaje 9 de 12 , 5 ago 2012
                    Ver fuente
                    • 0 Archivo adjunto
                      Hi,

                      I just want to mention that I have seen Colombian Crake on two occasions in
                      the mid 1980's in Ecuador. The first time was just outside Piñas (which is
                      in El Oro province I believe), and the second was on the outskirts of Lita.
                      Some years ago I gave Paul C all the details, who said he would forward them
                      to you Bob, but I guess he didn't. I have written field descriptions in my
                      notebooks, and recall both events fairly clearly although it was a long time
                      ago.

                      The Piñas bird was clambering in grass or a crop at the edge of a crop
                      field, just outside and above the town, and I watched it at very close range
                      down to just a few metres. It was completely undisturbed, acting just like
                      Russet-crowned Crake does sometimes in Brazil. The second was along the
                      railway track from Lita to the coast, just outside the town in a tall
                      Panicum type grass and the situation was pretty much the same, with great
                      close views of a rather tame bird.

                      These are my only records of the species after spending at least three years
                      worth of field days in Ecuador and Colombia. I guess that people need to be
                      looking in cutover and rough weedy or secondary habitat for this bird, not
                      in usual birding spots per se, and that is my gut feeling as to why it is
                      not often seen.

                      I guess I should have published these and other Ecuadorian records in
                      hindsight, even if they are only sight records.

                      Best regards,
                      Mark Pearman

[...]

                      E-mail clasificado por el Idenfificador de Spam Inteligente.
                      Para modificar la categoría clasificada acceda a su webmail
                    • Robert Ridgely
                      Mensaje 10 de 12 , 5 ago 2012
                      Ver fuente
                      • 0 Archivo adjunto

                        Dear Mark,

                        This is the first I’ve heard of these records.  Thanks.  Paul didn’t always forward things on.

                        Could you by any chance still be able to give a date for these important records?  As Niels and I have speculated, it’s possible that colombiana could be migratory to some extent.

                        A strange situation, with actual or near sympatry of these two seemingly very closely related species at a couple west-Ecuador localities.  Let’s hope we can gradually sort it out.

                        Cheers, and good birding,

                        Bob

                        Mensaje 11 de 12 , 6 ago 2012
                        Ver fuente
                        • 0 Archivo adjunto
                          Hi,

                          I tried Yesterday and today Colombian Crake in Buenaventura. No answers. But the administrator told me about few recently records of that Tanager published in The Ecuadorian Field Guide (spanish version) . Seems to be Speckled Tanager.

                          I saw the dead bird (C. Crake) . It's really small.

                          Saludos a todos

                          Ayer y hoy intenté Neocrex colombianus en Buenaventura. No hubo respuestas. Marco, el administrador de la reserva me contó acerca de que se está viendo la Tangara que P. Greenfield registró hace años atrás. Al parecer es Speckled Tanager.

                          Saludos

                          Manuel

                          Mensaje 12 de 12 , 6 ago 2012
                          Ver fuente
                          • 0 Archivo adjunto
                            Dear Bob et al,

                            I've tried an awful chunk of times to contact Olaf, especially when he moved 'closer' to  me (Europe wise) in Germany. All I had from him was a very brief reply to an email I sent to him some time ago, telling me that "he was too busy in the process of settling down with his family in his country and coping with his new job as a lecturer at Belin University". Nevertheless, I've heard no more from Olaf since, and my truly desire was to meet up with him personally in order to have a good catch up as friends and to sort out a few unfinished work and papers!

                            Regarding the Colombian Crake, argggg...what a shame to finding one death!!! I managed to see this animal in the upper basin of the Cayapas river, so do count that record in your data base Bob (field notes to come shortly as I cannot remember accurately right now!). The only ever recording that I have of this bird was done - unfortunately - in Colombian territory, not far from Pueblo Nuevo trail (Sep 2005). Plus, a couple of distance heard records back in Nov 2008 (Angostura, upper basin of river Santiago). I knew from Paul Coopmas that someone claimed a sighting of the bird in the SW (Mark Pearman's?), though Paul was quite vague on this record, hence his silence!

                            I'll be shortly in Ecu and quite determinant to go after this elusive thing! Any others fellow twitchers would be more than welcome to come along!!!

                            All the very best to you all!!

                            Byron Palacios

[...]

                          Su mensaje se envió con éxito y se entregará al destinatario en breve.